Friday, March 17, 2017

Kobi no Sambharo | Quick Cabbage Stir-Fry


Blogging Marathon #74 Week 3 Day 1
Theme: Quick and Delicious Stir-Fries 
Dish: Kobi no Sambharo | Quick Cabbage Stir-Fry 

Simple shredded cabbage is transformed into a fragrant side dish with the addition of cilantro, lime, and an array of spices including turmeric and cumin.


Spring is here and it is time for everything colorful. A couple of days back I made this simple stir fry using cabbage, carrots and peppers. It took me back to my childhood! 

I did not intend on shooting and posting this recipe because I thought it was too simple! But the result was super colorful and looked really pretty. I put my lunch plate aside and got to shooting this one! So without thinking too much, I got a dish that was perfect for this week's BM theme, Quick and Delicious Stir-Fries! 

This recipe dates back to my childhood. We used to live in a joint family and everybody had different food preferences. At times when we would not eat what everyone else is eating, my grandma used to make this yummy cabbage stir fry for us. Not overly spicy and not something that would take a long time to make, this dish was on  my favorites since the beginning. 


Plus, this stir fry often features in traditional Gujarati thalis. It is a cross between a salad and a dry vegetable. The cabbage is not cooked through and maintains its crunch. So does the carrots and peppers. Really simple flavors of only turmeric powder and no so spicy green chilli, this recipe works well when you do not have many vegetables in the refrigerator!

Served with some freshly made rotis and a bowl of dal, it is a complete meal! That was exactly my meal when I made this last time. A bowl of tuvar dal, pressure cooked and some added salt and turmeric completed the meal with roti, sliced onion and rice.

Plus, this sambharo is often served with fafda gathiya and jalebi. Generally a papaya stir-fry is served with gathiya, but when the raw papaya is not in season, either a radish stir fry or this stir fry is served with them. It tastes awesome with freshly made gathiyas! 


Variations

I made a milder version with mild green chillies and no red chilli powder. If you like a spicy version, feel free to add some spicy chillies in it. Plus, I had colored peppers in my refrigerator and used them. The taste will not change if you use just green peppers as well. The traditional version is made in groundnut oil, but I used sunflower oil and I don't think the taste is altered much. Feel free to use an oil of your choice. 


Ingredients

Cabbage 1 cup, shredded
Carrot 1/2 cup, julienned 
Peppers 1/2 cup, shredded
Green Chilli 1, chopped
Curry leaves 2-3
Vegetable Oil 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Lime Juice 1/2 tsp
Cilantro to top


Method

In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once they pop, add cumin seeds and asafoetida. When cumin pops, adds curry leaves and chilli. 

In a few seconds add peppers and saute for a minute. Then add carrots and saute. Finally add cabbage and mix well. 

Season with turmeric powder and mix well. Cook on high flame for 3-4 minutes and finally add salt. Add lime juice, mix well and serve immediately topped with cilantro. 



BMLogo 


1 comment :

  1. Wow that looks colorful! Loved the addition of peppers.

    ReplyDelete