Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Multigrain Pumpkin Bread for #BreadBakers

It is September and we are ready to embrace Fall! Pumpkin spice latte has made its comeback in Starbucks, the pop up stores selling pumpkins are back and Michael is full of Fall decor. All these indicate very clearly that it is time to go for All things pumpkins. Feels like yesterday that I was baking and cooking with pumpkins, but they are back again. Not to forget, our theme for Bread Bakers this month is Pumpkin as well. Our lovely hostess Kylee of Kylee Cooks came with the theme and I am loving it!



For this season, I am starting my series on Pumpkins with this hearty bread. I have a lot of recipes coming up, so stay tuned. I can't believe it when I say 'a series'. I never liked pumpkins until I move to US and saw how every dish can be made with the mighty orange vegetable and how all places have a Fall menu that has pumpkin in everything. Slowly, I began to enjoy it and now I look forward to Fall to make a few dishes each year.

This bread is very different than all other breads on my blog. I started off with all purpose flour for my house and stuck there for a very long time. Lately I bought myself vital wheat gluten with an intention to  make vegetarian meatballs and I thought I would experiment making breads with wheat flour and gluten. And guess what, I moved on to wheat and multigrain breads and left the all purpose behind! Now I make wheat dinner rolls, wheat pizza and this multigrain pumpkin bread.



The base for this bread is multigrain flour. The flour is from the Indian store and has a blend of Wheat, Soy, Oats, Maize, Ragi, Chana Dal and Barley. They do not mention the proportions of the individual ingredients but the blend works pretty much like wheat flour. The same recipe can be made with wheat flour too. I added pumpkin puree (not the sweet pie filling) and pumpkin spice. I highly recommend having a bottle of the spice, it it really flavorful and can easily change the flavor of Fall dishes to super yummy. Also, I rolled the dough in a mixture of white and black sesame, pumpkin and flax seeds. You can use any blend of seeds you like. You can eliminate that if you do not like a seeded bread. 



Ingredients

Multigrain Flour 3 cups
Vital Wheat Gluten 3 tbsp
Yeast 1 sachet (2 1/4 tsp)
Pumpkin Puree 3/4 cup
Olive Oil 3 tbsp
Salt 2 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Water 1/4 cup
Pumpkin Spice 2 tsp
Sesame seeds, Roasted Pumpkin Seeds and Flax Seeds 



Method

In a bowl add water, a tsp salt and sugar. Heat to 110 F i.e just warm. Add the yeast, mix and let it stand for ten minutes, till the yeast blooms. 

In a pan sift flour and gluten. Make a well in the middle and add the olive oil and yeast. Also, add pumpkin puree, remaining salt and pumpkin spice. Mix well and bring everything together to make a soft dough. Knead the dough for 10-12 minutes till it bounces back on pressing. Coat with olive oil and let it rise for an hour, till it doubles in size.



While the dough rests, mix together the seeds to top. I used roasted seeds but you can mix them and roast them lightly too. Also, line a 9*4 inches pan with parchment paper. Once the dough has doubled, punch it down and knead it once again. Using your fingers, roll it out to rectangle of 9 inches length on the longer side. Start rolling it like you would roll a towel. Tuck in edges and make a tight roll. Lay the seeds in a baking tray and roll the bread in it. Place bread in the bread pan and let it rise for an hour or so. 

Preheat oven to 400F. Once the bread has risen, place it in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. The top should be golden brown, but the seeds should not burn. Once done, remove and cool on a rack. Let the bread cool for atleast 3-4 hours before slicing it. Make slices as per your preference and serve.













#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here.  Links are also updated after each event on the BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy @ foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.
BreadBakers




Here is what all my fellow bloggers came up with for the event Baking with Pumpkin/ Pumpkin Spice: 

19 comments :

  1. Wow...what a marvelous looking loaf of bread! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty bread Smruthi. Love the nuts and seeds on top and the pumpkin adds some real nice color to the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the seeds on top and the sides-- really nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking bread. I love the way you used that beautiful seed mix all over the bread, not just on top. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Eileen!! I love these seeds all over my loaf :)

      Delete
  5. I love all the seeds and grains in this! That's one of my favorite types of breads because I love, love, love interesting textures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bread looks amazing! I love the pumpkin seeds on the outside. Very pretty loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pumpkin seed - studded bread ! The set up including those cute whole pumpkins look great !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Kalyani!! I LOVE fall and these are from my home decor :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful looking loaf of bread and you not only used the pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice but also the seeds. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bread looks great! What size pan did you use? Did you grease the pan? If yes, what did you use? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot!! I used a 9x4 inches bread pan. I did not grease the pan. I used a parchment paper, forgot to mention in the post. Updated now :) You can grease pan with nonstick spray or olive oil or regular oil too.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Smruti for your prompt reply!

      Delete